I have been in full-time private practice since 1999. I provide psychotherapy and counseling to adult clients. The clients I see often experience problems with mental health, coping with and managing medical conditions, trauma, pain, grief and loss, family, marriage, personal, school, job stress, and alcohol and substance abuse.
I have specialized psychotherapy training in couples and family therapy, utilizing clinical hypnosis for managing stress, depression, anxiety, pain, and insomnia. I am presently on the Allied Health Staff and Faculty member of the Advocate Lutheran General Hospital Department of Psychiatry where I taught psychotherapy, trauma, and clinical ethics to resident psychiatrists. I am also a professional affiliate staff member through NorthShore University Health Systems where I treat patients referred by primary care physicians and psychiatrists. I was a member of the Illinois Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers Board of Directors and the Northeastern Illinois District Chair from July 2015 - June 2017, and continue to provide consultation.
I have taught and supervised graduate and post-graduate students in clinical social work, psychology, counseling, and psychiatry through university placement and at community hospitals. I have held management positions in hospital inpatient and outpatient mental health and addictions treatment settings. My psychotherapy practice includes helping clients in Chicago and in the Northern and Northwest suburbs including Skokie, Niles, Park Ridge, Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect, Palatine, Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, and Des Plaines.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Sociology and Social Services from Bradley University, Peoria, IL, 1977
- Master of Social Work degree in Clinical Social Work from Washington University George Warren Brown School of Social Work, St. Louis, 1979
- Graduate Practicum at Barnes Hospital Department of Social Work/Psychiatry, St. Louis, MO, 1978-1979
- Post-graduate training in individual, marital and family therapy, clinical hypnotherapy, sleep disorders, trauma, pain management, gerontology, gestalt therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, solution-oriented therapy, and addictions.
- American Clinical Social Work Association
- American Academy of Bereavement
- American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work
- American Psychotherapy Association
- National Association of Forensic Counselors
- National Association of Social Workers
- National Board for Certified Clinical Hypnotherapists
- Illinois Society of Clinical Social Work
- International Association of Trauma Professionals
- Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Illinois
- Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work
- Board Certified Fellow in Clinical Hypnotherapy
- Certified Master Addictions Counselor
- Board Certified Fellow in Psychotherapy
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional
- NASW Diplomate in Clinical Social Work
- Certified Integrative Mental Health Professional
I have been married to my wife, Nancy, since 1978, who is a special education teacher and a vision therapist. I have two adult children, Michelle and Daniel. Michelle is married and has two children. She works as a pediatric occupational therapist. My son Daniel, is a clinical social worker and psychotherapist.
You may e-mail me here: firstname.lastname@example.org